Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Paris is Always a Good Idea

I was seated on my flight from SFO to Istanbul next to a nice gal from Marin who was on her way to Israel to teach English for a year. We had a delightful conversation for the first couple of hours and then she slept for most of the rest of the way. I tried not to be envious, as per usual I didn't sleep a wink.

The most interesting thing about my 2 1/2 hour layover in Istanbul was that the area I was in was filled with what I imagine were Muslim Pilgrims headed for their Hajj. Either that or a toga party.

 I arrived at my Airbnb in the Marais district in Paris around 11:30pm after very long flights from SFO to Istanbul to Paris. The city was still pulsating with life as the taxi wound through the narrow streets of the old Jewish area, currently very hip and fashionable. It was a warm evening that still had the energy of a summer night and the Parisians were out taking advantage of it. 

Thankful that the door code worked and that I was able to find the light switch in the dark, I  climbed wearily up the 4 flights of dusty stairs and was greeted by my host who took my back pack up the last flight. Isabel was warm and welcoming even though it was late. 

My shoebox sized room is decked out in burgundy and purple which made me smile. The apartment is cozy and decorated with whimsical tapestries, gilded sun shaped mirrors and other eye catching kitch. The living room window looks out over the Parisian rooftops and the bustling Argentinian bistro below.

After freshening up with a shower and hydrating with several glasses of water I finally made it to bed and slept deeply all night, exhausted from being up for over 36 hours.

.






No comments:

Post a Comment