Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Rocamadour

Picture a scene out of Lord of the Rings. A tower and fortress emerging from the sides and top of a cliff, surrounded by forests in the hues of Autumn. That was the breathtaking view I had today as I approached the old city, church and fortress of Rocamadour. The 4 km walk from the train station led to the edge of a cliff with glimpses of the exceptional design of the 11th C monastery and fortress built into the hillside. Across the deep gorge below the forest was in the throes of Autumn and dazzling with oranges, reds and browns mixed in with the evergreens.

After admiring it from a distance I walked down the narrow steep street towards the towering monastery. The streets were lined with chic shops, expensive hotels and little restaurants, all closed because it was before 9am. During the summer thousands of tourists flock here to see the magnificent buildings, shop, dine and camp. Luckily this morning only a few hardy visitors were ascending the hundreds of stairs leading up to the monastery chiseled out of the side of the cliff. My head spun as I tilted it back to gaze upward. This place was an important pilgrim destination and many famous saints and Kings had come here to  pray. Some even climbed the stairs on their kness. I chose to walk. (Although there was an elevator)

Inside the sanctuary was an impressive organ adjacent to the natural stone wall. Various additional chapels were tucked in the area near the entrance to the church. Candles lit by pilgrims and visitors flickered against a wall in the back, illuminating the dark interior.

I continued on the steep path up the hill which had the stations of the cross at the end of every switch back, all the way up to a large grotto underneath the fortress. The path was sheltered by green trees and vines and benches were placed along the way. People were encouraged to pray the rosary as they ascended.

At the top I paid 2 euros to access the catwalk ramparts on top of the castle. I was grateful for the handrails and shuddered to think what it would have been like without them. The views of the town below and the surrounding countryside was magnificent. Such an extraordinary place!












No comments:

Post a Comment