Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Wine Country

Marsolan to Condom
24km

Yes, we are in the city of Condom, which of course makes the English people snicker a bit. Different meaning in French... Today is in the mid 80's again but feels even hotter. We just made one short stop on our way here and did a detour to cut off a few km since we were dreading being stuck out on the path in the heat. This meant that we had to walk for awhile on a narrow busy road without a shoulder. Luckily we were without any incidents or problems and arrived as the church bells rang the noon hour. 

There was a nice shady oasis with a pond and fountain at a good time for our break. I feel like I was transported back to Napa with vineyards in every direction broken up occasionally with oak trees. This is a big wine region but we won't be buying any bottles to carry with us, hopefully we will have some nice wine with dinner. 

About 2km before town a man drove by in a car and handed each of us a big bunch of ripe grapes. Such a sweet gesture but a bit tricky to carry. I ate my fill and then had to let the rest go.

The town of Condom is famous for being the home of the Three Musketeers. Thete is a big statue of them with their buddy d'Artagan in front of the cathedral. Also for their brandy Armagnac. 

The cathedral was beautiful with an immense barrel vaulted ceiling and intricate filigree of the choir. The first church was built in 804 and in the 10th C the Gascogne family donated the land and money to build a benedictine monastery. The church is in very good condition which is nice to see after witnessing so many that are in desperate need of repair.

Our Gite Champs d'Etoiles tonight is in a very nice old building with high ceilings amd only 4 single beds in our room. We are getting spoiled. The dinner the host is cooking smells divine and I can't wait to taste the bouef burgognion! 
















1 comment:

  1. You are in the midst of one golden scene after another. French paradise! What a gift to take in the nuances of each bend and distant scene along the way with good company and the best of food. (most the time!) "This is my father's world, and to my listening ears, all nature sings and round me rings the music of the spheres!" comes to mind! So fun to trace your steps with these posts. Walk on, Pilgrim Amy!

    ReplyDelete