Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

A Little Meseta

Miradoux to Marsolan
25km

The first 15km went by fairly easily except that a lot of it was on a hard packed dirt path about 8-10 inches wide and felt like walking on a balance beam. Unfortunately I have blisters on the outside of both of my heels now and when the terrain is slanted it puts more pressure on them making them more painful. I will probably put the infamous Compeed bandages on them tomorrow to help cushion them. Otherwise I feel great. I think we all got a little overheated in the hot afternoon sun today. I made sure to drink a lot of water when we got to the gite around 3pm.

Four km before Lectore, the big town that we went through today, there was a produce stand where I enjoyed half of a small local cantaloupe that was cool and refreshing. Approaching Lectore made me feel like I was in Italy near Florence with large tall sentinel Cypress trees in the immense cemetery on the right. 

Lectore was obviously a tourist destination with a large cathedral, castle and loads of shops and cafes. We walked around a bit then were  pleased  to find a nice shaded picnic area on the edge of town. 

The last 10km transported us to the Meseta in terms of being hot, dry, dusty and endless plowed fields as far as one can see. I listened to music and just kept on walking. It was a relief to get to our Gite and the pack transport service called Transport Claudine drove up the same time as we arrived. Perfect timing. We have a little cottage looking out over the valley. I'm fresh and clean after a nice shower and my clothes should dry in no time in the heat.














1 comment:

  1. Hi, Amy. Now that you are almost ~2/3 of the way on your route, as you get closer to the Spanish border, does it have a more "Spanish" feel to it.
    btw, I just love those French blue shutters.....the color is perfect. We hope your blisters go away!

    ReplyDelete