Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Farmyard Fun

Conques to Lacoste
33 km (25 by taxi)

I'm sitting on a recliner in the backyard of a farm watching 4 chickens race around the grass. I have a view over looking a valley and the sky is full of fluffy white clouds. Next to me is a drying rack loaded with my clothes that didn't dry yesterday as well as today's laundry. It truly feels like the middle of nowhere , just farms and pastures as far as I can see. The hamlet that I'm just outside of is Lacoste, about 21 km from Figeac.

Since it was so rainy yesterday, we wanted to have a chance to see the charming town of Conques in the sunshine today. The distance between Conques and Figeac was an awkward 54 km, too much for 2 days but not much for 3. With the mud from the rain and warnings about how difficult the climb out of Conques was supposed to be, my friend Patricia and I decided to share a cab with Charles from Canada to Livanhoc and then walk 8 km to Lacoste. That way we can just walk 21 km to Figeac tomorrow. 

At the moment the elderly mother of the farm is outside shouting across the yard to her daughter who runs the bnb. She keeps bringing us produce from the garden such as tomatoes, grapes, plums, figs, eggs and hazelnuts. She made rice and ratatouille from her vegetables for dinner which we will heat up in a bit. Such a fun authentic experience!






1 comment:

  1. Amy,
    Once again, I am struck by the beauty of your pictures of food items and meals. So interesting. Just the eggs, grapes and squash make a picture that you could paint! The "Paris Brest" item the other day reminds me of a bike race in France each year that is a BIG deal...the "Paris-Brest"....it is a grueling ride over a lot of dusty cobblestones from (you guessed it) Paris to Brest. Only the animal riders do it! Anyway, your "Paris Brest" food item looked much better.
    Looks like you are a little better than a third of the way on your walk. You are doing great and we love hearing all your stories and things you notice along the way. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete