Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Sunday, September 4, 2016

On the Road Again

Le Puy to Montbonnet 
16km

No need for an alarm clock this morning. At 4:15 am I was wide awake and cold because  I had left the window wide open. Since I had my own room, I could get up and organize before going downstairs to check email and have breakfast. There were big bowls for coffee or coffee au lait as opposed to tiny espresso shots in Spain which made me happy. I like espresso, but my morning ritual usually includes a big mug of strong coffee.

It was surprising to me that there were at least a hundred pilgrims at the Pilgrims Mass this morning. I had heard that there wouldn't be very many people on this route but in this section for the next 10 days there will be quite a few. Most people stop at Conques so it will be quieter after that. 

The priest had all the pilgrims come around the statue of St Jacques where he had everyone raise their hands when he announced their country of origin. I was very surprised that I was the only American. Later in the day I found out there is also a fascinating returning pilgrim (4th time) from Colorado and a couple from Utah. Maybe others too.

You would think having done the Camino before I would know better than assume that just because someone is dressed like a pilgrim and wearing a pack that they are going in the correct direction. Leaving the cathedral I followed 3 pilgrims out of town in the opposite direction of the start of the Camino. When they stopped at a cafe I realized my mistake and trudged back up hill to the actual starting place and followed the pack   of pilgrims up the steep hills out of town on the real Camino, or Chemin de St Jacques as they say here. 

The climb was challenging for most everyone since it was day one. I did better than I expected and after that first part the rest felt easy. I could easily have done more today but my reservation was for here in Montbonnet. 

The countryside was lovely. Lots of farmland and pastures with cows. Haybales were spiral rolled and dotted the golden fields decoratively. For awhile we traversed along a ridge overlooking a valley. We passed by many stone crosses and stone farmhouses. Blackberry bushes were abundant and it was common to see pilgrims pausing to reach over and pluck the ripe fruit. My mom would have been in heaven!

The gites (hostel) didn't open until 3, so I had about 2 1/2 hours to chill at a cafe first. I will write a post about all of the characters that I have come across already. It has been such a fun day and a great start to my Camino.









No comments:

Post a Comment