Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Friday, September 9, 2016

San Francisco- Magical Words

Who knew that I would be greeted with such delight when I say that I'm from San Francisco? People literally burst into song sometimes when I say that. It's as if they can't believe someone would come to this part of France from San Francisco. Then they are amazed that I will speak in French with them. They ask how I know French and where I learned it.

It is wonderful to be welcomed with such enthusiasm and good cheer! I think French people expect Americans to go to Paris but not to necessarily explore the more remote areas. I'm glad that I can be a positive ambassador for the USA.

Right after I wrote the last sentence a German guy sat down and announced that he didn't like America. But he didn't say that he didn't like American people, in fact he was trying to meet up with my friend Kris from Denver who I was surprised to see as I entered this hamlet.

Kris and Ingrid from Germany were behind us but took a taxi today because Kris has only 5 more days until she has to go meet her husband in Madrid. I had been sad thinking that I might not see her again and then there she was right in front of me. We will plan to room together tomorrow night.

I wasn't sure if I would see my Camino family tonight and then they all showed up together at my gite here for a drink. The gite is full though so most are going on another 3 km. It was very lively and fun here, sounded like we were having quite the party.








No comments:

Post a Comment