Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Google isn't always Right

Montlauzan to Durfort-Lachapellete
20 km but 15 miles our way

It seems like most of my days here begin with hills. Today was first steep down then fairly soon a narrow twisting uphill through a thicket with blue ropes to use if you needed to haul yourself up. If it were muddy I can imagine needing that support, or rather I might choose to walk on the highway or take a taxi.

There are endless fields of sunflowers in the area, most drying out in the sun but a few still fresh and colorful. We decided to skirt around one town that would be a few extra km straight up and down. Angela said that she had an alternative route on her ipad with Google maps. Let's just say it led us on a bit of a wild goose chase through people's private apple orchards and plowed dirt fields after the path ended abruptly in a thicket. 

I missed our trusted red and white GR 65 markings as we wandered lost in the French countryside. Google maps kept suggesting paths that didn't exist. Once we made it back to a paved road we hailed a car and they checked their gps and pointed us back in the right direction to the GR 65. We did more miles and hills probably than if we hadn't skirted the town. Well, it certainly was an adventure!

Later we came across a very sweet little church that had been renovated recently. The decor was simple but lovely with a moving crucifix.

There was a lovely refuge to stop and eat our lunch in before heading back out into the heat of the afternoon. It grew almost oppressively hot by the time we arrived at our gite. I will write another blog about that!









No comments:

Post a Comment