Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Watch Your Step!

St Chely d'Aubrac to St Come D'Olt
16km

Today was a good day to wear my knee brace for support and I was super thankful for my poles. The chemin left town over an old bridge, past a cemetery and up a big hill before winding through a lovely beech wood forest. 

A stream crisscrossed the path occasionally and the sound of the water mingled with the bells of the cows. Lots of day hikers were on the trail today too and their chatter could be heard as they plodded along in groups. I walked with Kris and Oliver and we had several nice stops at a little shelter and by the stream. 

For the majority of the day the path was downhill and rocky, requiring lots of attention so that you didn't stumble. There were a few challenging uphill segments in the hot sun too. I drank a lot of water to stay hydrated. Towards the end of the walk, past the last big uphill we stopped at a woman's house who had set up tables for pilgrims and served some food and beverages. My French friend Thibaut was already there enjoying a beer and a local dish that was a cross between an omelette/crepe and fritter with fresh herbs. I decided that seemed like a nice lunch option for me as well. It was very tasty. Then I had to say goodbye to Thibaut because he was going on further and leaving the Camino at Conques. He has been in my gite the past 4 nights and I'm sad to see him go. 







1 comment: