Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Foraging in the Forest

Figeac to Cajarc
32 km

I had one of my longest walking days ever on the Camino. According to my monitor I walked over 52,000 steps. I felt pretty good but was ready to get to my gite by the end. 

All along the way there were tons of plums, blackberries and apples for the picking or plucking or retrieving from the ground. The plums weren't much bigger than the size of my thumb and full of flavor. We only picked what we could eat in the moment because nothing would hold well in our pockets. 

Turns out it is hunting season and we saw signs for hunting reserves and ran across one hunter in an orange vest with a shotgun chatting on his cell phone. It was a day when there were no restrooms or restaurants on our way so we had to visit nature when needed. We were careful to not venture too far and become prey.

Today we came across several round stone huts used for shelter by the shepherds. They are a lovely design and one was open for visitors to use. Lots of cows again too. 








No comments:

Post a Comment