Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Les Grottes Prehistoric de Rocamadour

I had to decide between attending mass in the church in Rocamadour or seeing the prehistoric caves. I wanted to do both but the timing didn't allow for it so I chose the grotto. The one hour tour was mostly in French but the guide did some in English too. The caves were only discovered in 1920 by a man digging in his garden. They were amazing, filled with stalactites and stalagmites, natural chimneys, bats, reflecting ponds and 20,000 year old cave art. I wanted to take photos but it was strictly forbidden. My favorite part was the reflection from the shallow pond which seemed to create a beautiful extensive underground canyon. The artwork on the walls was created by blowing the black or red paint from their mouths rather than with their fingers or brushes. It was nice to see something I didn't expect to see on this trip. 










No comments:

Post a Comment