Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Mes Amis du Chemin

Montgros to St Chely
21km

Breakfast today was upscale with delicious croissants, homemade yogurt and pain au levain, good coffee too. I headed out on my own but it was a busy Saturday on the trail. Lots of day hikers going the other direction as well as pilgrims headed my way. After a bit on the road, the trail led up up up through dry grassy pastures filled with cows. We were constantly opening and closing fences and gates meant to keep the cows in place. However, that also meant that often there was no fence between us  and them and a few times we had to pass very closely.

At the top of the pass was the village of Aubrac with tourists and lots of hikers. I found the rest of my Camino family who were eating their famous tarts. The portions were enormous so I settled for a coffee and a photo of them. 

The rest of the walk was a steep rocky descent through old lava rocks and the occasional cows. I walked with Rene, Frances and Ineka who were starting to get worried bout finding a place to sleep since everything seemed to be full. I had a reservation and after numerous troes they found a hotel that had a couple of rooms. For seemingly being in the middle of nowhere, there are a lot of people out and about. I'm booking ahead for the next few days so I won't get stressed about it. I will probably be with these friends for a few more days then most will leave at Conques. Rene and Fran plan on walking to St Jean in the pyrenees so hopefully our paths will keep crossing.







No comments:

Post a Comment