Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Friday, September 9, 2016

Pilgrimage or Walking Holiday?

In some ways this Camino feels similar to the one in Spain but other ways very different. It doesn't seem like people here think of themselves as pilgrims for the most part. Most are just walking for 1-3 weeks and the Chemin seems to be mostly a nice walking experience for them. 

In Spain, getting to Santiago was a big deal and everyone's main identity seemed to be as pilgrims. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Camino/ Chemin is the same route as the GR 65, a long walking trail in this part of France. Sometimes there are Camino markets but for the most part we look for the red and white stripes of the GR 65. I've met a few people who hope to go to Santiago but not many. 

Maybe because it is a bigger commitment to walk from St Jean to Santiago it draws people who want more than a walking holiday and are in search of big life questions. There were lots of people on the Camino in Spain who were in transition and searching for direction. Here people might want to get away from their lives for awhile but it doesn't seem to be as significant for them. Of course each person is different and I don't know exactly how they are thinking, but that seems to be the general sense that I am getting.





No comments:

Post a Comment