Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Sacre Coeur

Following my niece and nephew's lead, I thought a picnic supper in front of Sacre Coeur was a perfect idea for tonight. Downstairs from the apartment is a Monoprix where I purchased an apple, endive, salami, brie and hummus before wandering around to find the bus which was headed to Montmartre. Unfortunately the bus was crammed with people and felt like a sauna. Walking might have been a better idea. Still, there were a lot of steps and stairs to climb after I got off the bus. 

The sun was beginning to set as I joined the throngs of people gathered in the terraced gardens and staircases on the hill in front of the enormous white basilica. I successfully ignored the persistent African men selling trinkets as I walked up the multitude of stairs, enjoying the music of guitarists and singers playing to the crowds. The views out over Paris were breathtaking in the glowing sunset. I went inside to admire the massive dome ceilings bejeweled with mosaics. The only bummer part was that I had barely started in on my picnic supper when the guards started vigorously shooing everyone out so they could close the gardens. Dinner was delayed until I eventually got back to the apartment. All in all a good day!





1 comment:

  1. Amy--I can picture nearly all of your Parisian adventures so far and love the visuals and along with your descriptions! Fun to be off on this adventure with you. Blessings as you proceed! xo

    ReplyDelete