Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Hansel and Gretel

St Come d'Olt to Estaing
20 km

I feel like I have stepped into a land made for fairytales. The stone houses with scalloped slate shingle roofs seem as if a wicked witch disguised as a French grandma will poke her head out the wood door and beckon me in with a wrinkled finger at any given moment. Chickens, cats, dogs, goats and cows mill around and tiny butterflies flitter about as I pass by these ancient crumbling homes and farmhouses. 

It seems to be an ancient almost forgotten land except for the enthusiastic pilgrims and day hikers on the trails. And then we come across a tiny town seemingly in the middle of nowhere and it is almost over run with tourists. So crazy. The night before last there was a wedding in town and they partied it up late into the night. 

We just missed a medieval festival in Estaing over the weekend. Estaing is considered one of the most beautiful towns in France. There is actually a category for that and several of the towns along the Chemin de St Jacques qualify. 

When Estaing first came into view we all gasped in delight. And this was after a few days of very charming villages. 








No comments:

Post a Comment