Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Not So Hard

Monistrol d'Allier to La Clauze
20km

The guidebook made the first part of our route today look very difficult, but I was pleased that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The first part was very steep and rocky and it was raining lightly. After 4km the grade started to undulate as the narrow trail passed farms and through sections of woods. At one point a man approached us pushing a little cart in front of him filled with fruit/nut bread. He was sharing samples and I was tempted to try but wisely inquired if it had figs to which he responded "Oui, bien sur, beaucoup " . Good info for me to know as I'm highly allergic to them. Kris bought one and said it was good but we were both surprised when he charged her 6 euros for the rather small roll.

Kris and I were walking together and we got held up behind a herd of cattle being led to pasture. The cows were entertaining though we had to really watch our step to avoid slipping in their fresh droppings. 

There seem to be about 30 pilgrims that are walking around the same pace and so we all recognize each other already. Our paths crisscross all day long and different combinations end up eating together or staying in the gites. 

We arrived in Sauges, passing by numerous impressive wood carvings including one of a giant wolf that was said to terrorize the locals, devouring hundreds of women and children over the years. There is quite a legend connected with it and even a museum, though I didn't go in. Everyone eventually stopped at the one cafe/restaurant that seemed to be open and some of us had lunch. Delicious roasted chicken or beef stew with excellent mashed potatoes

Some of the group decided to stay there and the rest moved on to La Clauze. I walked with Renee and Frances from New Zealand which was very fun except the sun finally came out in full force and most of the 8 km had little shade.

I'm staying in a darling little gite with Inika from Holland and the delightful older ladies from Norway. A fabulous day of walking. I think I must be in better shape than I thought because it has all felt pretty easy so far.












1 comment:

  1. Amy, it's so great to hear that this little group of hikers that you keep running into is established. It has to make it more fun to see them along the way or at the end of the day. And very glad to hear that the hiking is not overly challenging for you. Good training ahead of time on your part!

    ReplyDelete