Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Unexpected Wine Tasting

I didn't realize that we were dining under the beam of an old wine press in our Albergue. After dinner the owner gave an animated description on how the wine press worked, including a demonstration with some pilgrims cranking the press. We were then led down a tunnel to the ancient wine cellar. A Spanish pilgrim named Luis translated that the Roman arches had been determined by historians to be from the first century AD. This area saw a lot of fighting in the 8th(?) C between the Muslims and the Christians. There are many tunnels under the castle all around this area. We were led through a tiny opening way that even I had to duck through to a separate cave area. After all the explanations, we were given small glasses of wine to toast the Camino. So many wonderful surprises!





No comments:

Post a Comment