Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Ghost Town of Ciruena

We are staying in a very strange place tonight. Apparently, some developers built an entire suburban town with what looks like 100's of homes next to a fancy golf course, but it never was completely finished. All the homes and buildings are empty. There is a lovely Olympic size swimming pool and play ground all vacant. On the edge of the new development, there is a tiny old town with a church, a cafe, a few homes and 2 albergues. 

If you have seen the movie The Way, think of crazy Ramon, and you will get an idea of this place. The owner is an amateur artist and the place is full of his artwork. When we arrived it was still overcast and no one was around. We ate lunch at the cafe and the sun eventually came out and some more pilgrims arrived. We were ushered upstairs and shown to our bleak room, along with a sweaty German guy. Then he had us sit around a kitchen table to check us in. He was writing with a crazy pen that had a rainbow wig on the end. I tried not to get the giggles. He told us we had to shower then we could get wifi. He's a bit bossy. 

The showers are only cold here, so that was a surprise. I tried to sit on a chair in the entryway to email but he insisted that I join him in the sitting room where he had the Simpsons on in Spanish. He keeps laughing loudly at it. I fee like I'm in the Twilight Zone!










1 comment: