Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Burgos Cathedral

I knew that there was a big cathedral in Burgos, but I had no idea that it was in the league of Westminster Abbey. I was given an audio headset with my pilgrim discount for the cathedral. There were at least a dozen amazing side chapels in addition to the main nave which held the "choir" and centerpiece. There were also 2 floors of the cloister and numerous steeples and domes. A painting of Mary Magdalene by Leonardo da Vinci was on display in one of the chapels without any one guarding it or telling people to not get too close. The amount of artistry displayed is absolutely mind boggling. 

One amusing part to me was the sacristy which had some less attractive artwork in my opinion. The style was translated as being "the fear of empty space" , meaning that they tried to cram in as many images as possible!

One center altarpiece depicted the genealogy of Jesus sprouting from the body of Jesse. Pretty cool. There was also a fabulous staircase which used to open to the street level because the cathedral is built on a hill. Another piece looked to me like it was supposed to be the ark of the covenant, but my guide didn't tell me anything about it. I suppose one could spend years taking it all in, but I was grateful for having a morning to do so. 



















1 comment: