Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Getting there

Seeing the incredibly packed airport terminal made me dread our completely full flight from SFO to Madrid. When I finally made it to my row, I was pleased to see a very nice looking guy sitting in the middle seat between Julia and me. He just looked mildly amused and not put out as I struggled ungainly to stuff my bag under my seat (unsuccessfully since there was a bar blocking all but 6 inches of it) and pull on my knee high length travel compression socks- not an easy feat in the few inches between my seat and the old guy reclined in front of me. After I finally settled down we started to chat. I found out he was from Slovakia and had been here working as a specialty welder for Tesla. Good conversation, bad food and a random selection of movies on the ceiling drop monitors made the 10 and a half hours go quickly.

Frankfurt Airport is massive and industrial feeling. We wandered around for a long time through the gray concrete and eventually made it to customs and then to our new terminal and gate. We had a delightful conversation with a colorfully dressed senior backpacker from Austria and some other passengers from the plane. I guess I'm in a social mood because I can't remember when I have chatted up so many fellow passengers.

The next leg to Madrid began by a long bus ride around the tarmac at Frankfurt to a remote landing strip where our Lufthansa plane awaited us. I was seated next to two delightful young guys from Madrid returning from a few weeks in Canada.  The plane kind of swerved a bit back and forth on the runway before taking flight and then a few minutes later we had severe turbulence. People were shreiking, laughing, squealing and hanging on tight. Once the plane stabilizied, it sounded like a cocktail party was going on.  Everyone was was totally awake and giddy to be alive. I chatted most of the way with my new friends in my row and they gave me all kinds of good tips and info about Madrid and their contact info if I have any questions. Such a wonderful way to start my journey!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have no idea why I (Doris) have this login name! I used to call my sister Manute for Manute Bol, a tall basketball player. I must have used this login before!

      Delete