Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Quasimodo

One thing that I am learning on the Camino is that you never know what is going to happen next. Yesterday both Julia and I had several mosquito bites on our arms and legs. I felt like I maybe had a little cut on my right eyelid and it was a little puffy. I was careful not to touch it. When I woke up this morning I was alarmed because I felt like my right eye was swollen shut. I carefully descended from the upper bunk and stumbled to the bathroom. Sure enough, my eyelid had tripled in size and only half my eye was open. I showed Julia and she agreed that it looked like I had been bitten by a mosquito and the lid reacted badly. I had no choice but to get ready and head out for the day. We were on the road by 6:45 and arrived at our destination by around 11:15. 

I found a pharmacy in town and asked for help. Luckily here in Spain, all the pharmacists have medical training and diagnose people. I asked if he spoke English and he said just a little bit. So, I pointed to my eye and made a buzzing noise like a mosquito flying around and biting my eyelid. He nodded and went to get some antihistamine cream and tablets. It is definitely better now than this morning and I am hopeful it will be gone soon! I did take a frightening selfie of it this morning but I don't want any of you to see it for your own sakes!







No comments:

Post a Comment