Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

On the Road!

Today began with a mad rush as I hurried to scramble out of bed, walk through the wet grass to the WC trailer to use the toilet and brush teeth, shove all my things willy nilly into my pack, get dressed and rush up the hill to the bar to drop off my pack by 8 am.  Since I hadn't been sleeping well and because I thought others were getting up early, I didn't set an alarm. I heard the guys on the top bunks packing their bags and realized it was 7:35 already. Kind of a stressful beginning!

Julia arrived about 15 minutes later and got coffee for us as I made sure the transport service for my pack was really picking up my pack. Our later start, around 9 am, allowed us to miss the mad rush of pilgrims. We had fun taking photos by the Santiago  790 km sign before starting on the trail. We were giddy and emotional to be finally walking the Camino!

The trail today was lovely the entire way as it wound up and down green hills, through woods and charming towns, and past huge white cows with cowbells. We had the path mostly to ourselves, only occasionaly passing or being passed by other pilgrims. We stopped about 2 miles in for breakfast of empenadas and coffee. The weather was cool and perfect the whole way. The air felt fresh after the rain from the night before. We got to our hotel around 1 pm.  It felt great to shower and then get a bite to eat. I'm relaxing now outside at a local cafe while writing my blog.






2 comments:

  1. Amy and Julia, We are with you in spirit, walking the Camino. What beautiful countryside. Looks just like what we saw in the movie! Bless you! J & D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Beautiful pictures! So green! Abigail wants cow pictures : )

    ReplyDelete