Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Top Marks for Burgos

I think Burgos is one of the most charming cities that I have ever seen. A lovely river with grass and willow trees lining its banks winds its way along the edge of the old city. Bike and pedestrian paths are plentiful and park benches invite one to sit and relax for awhile. Statues and other public art is everywhere. Pretty bridges cross the river frequently so it is easy to cross. After crossing over one of the main bridges, an impressive facade with arches draws one in towards the amazing Gothic cathedral, easily one of the worlds' finest ones. 

The wide pedestrian streets near the river are filled with cafe tables on one side and benches on the other. There are open plazas tucked in at odd angles throughout the city creating more open spaces. People  watching is definitely encouraged! I love watching the chic little old ladies walk by arm in arm with their heads tilted towards one another to hear better. Sweet old men often stop me to say hello and to tell me about something they want me to notice. Telling them that I don't speak Spanish doesn't seem to deter them much, so I nod and smile and thank them for sharing with me. I didn't realize that the average Spaniard is so short. I'm average or above average height here. Kind of a nice change!

A woman just rode by on her bike. She could have been in an ad for designer clothing. She wore cream colored slacks, a grey cashmere poncho and had a cream pashmina perfectly slung over her shoulders. Her thick dark hair was perfectly coiffed. I, on the other hand, am sporting quick dry pants, a fleece and croc flip flops. One can simply look at people's feet here to know if they are a pilgrim or not. Pilgrims only have hiking boots/shoes, keen water sandals or flip flops. Only the essentials make it into our packs. The younger Spanish folks wear  cool sneakers, but that is about as casual as they get. I'm glad that we are having a rest day here in Burgos so that I can sit here and take it all in.











No comments:

Post a Comment