Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Monday, September 21, 2015

The Milky Way

The Camino de Santiago is often called The Way of St James, since it is a pilgrimage to his burial place. But another and more ancient reference to the Way has to do with the stars. The Camino follows directly underneath the Milky Way.  One could follow the galaxy all the way to the end of the known world in the west coast of Spain.

Last night I finally had the chance to see it for myself. I went out to the grassy hill adjacent to our albergue after dark and lay on a chaise lounge and looked up into the heavens. The sky was clear and twinkling with stars. I never get to see this many stars at home. Sure enough, I could see that we were underneath and following the Milky Way as have millions over the millennia.


1 comment: