Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

I would walk 500 miles...

Yesterday was all about getting to Roncesvalles so that we could finally start our 500 mile walk to Santiago. We took a 3 hour train ride to Pamplona and then met some pilgrims who wanted to share a taxi ride to Roncesvalles instead of waiting 3 hours for a bus. It was a good plan  because we made some new friends and got there in time to get beds. 

We made our way from the road to the enormous old Albergue building which had the pilgrim office and around 400 beds. Unfortunately, there were about 150 pilgrims in line to check in ahead of us. After an hour wait we were assigned to beds in the overflow area down the road. It resembled a cargo container and held 4 tightly packed bunk beds for the 8 of us. Quite cozy! After dropping off my pack, I hurried up for the Pilgrims mass and then dinner at the local bar. Dinner was done around 10 and then we made our way in the dark back down the road and over the stream to our bunks. I slept great after only about 3 hours of sleep since I left home. There was a huge rainstorm with thunder and lightning that pounded   on our tin roof and made us feel blessed to be inside and dry.




1 comment: