Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Timing is Everything

I thought that it would be nice to go to a church service last night. I heard that there was a service at a beautiful church near our albergue at 7pm. Around 6 we were enjoying some good people watching in the main square. I heard some music coming from the big church on one side of the square. I told Julia that I wanted to check it out to see if a service was starting. As I stepped through the threshold, I was stopped by a lot of people exiting the church, many of them crying. A few moments later several people passed by me holding funeral flowers. I tried to discreetly follow them out but found myself between the church and a hearse. Meanwhile, Julia is watching the whole thing and totally cracking up that I had walked right into the funeral procession!

It has been a challenge getting used to the Spanish timetable. The pilgrim schedule doesn't correspond very well. They certainly are not in a 24/7 mentality here. Patience is a virtue...






2 comments: