Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Fall Colors

Retiro Park reminded me of the Luxembourg Gardens in the Autumn. Except more user friendly. People were welcome to walk or sit on the grass and everyone seemed relaxed and enjoying themselves in the warm weather. I took my time strolling around the park, soaking in the beauty of the trees with their leaves turning vibrant colors, the rowboats on the pond, the musicians, the kids running and playing and the relative peace of the park compared to the busyness of the streets. I had a book with me and I relaxed on the grass near the Crystal Palace while a talented violinist played nearby. After a little bit of wandering, I finally found the Cultural Center Reina Sofia which houses a large collection of modern art. I think I might be walking as much in Spain after the Camino as I did while on it! Just not up and down as many rocky hills in hiking boots.

If I thought the crowds of people on the streets couldn't get busier or crazier than last night, I was wrong. It's Halloween on a warm Saturday. The craziness is just beginning. Lots of young people are dressed up but not in recognizable costumes like at home. They mostly have part of an outfit or a mask or face paint to look scary. Between making my way through crowds of them and several huge groups of student protesters I was ready to try to find a relatively quiet spot for dinner. There is a nice restaurant with outside seating across the street from my hotel. I scored a table and enjoyed a good homemade squid ink fettuccine with shrimp for dinner. I won't be venturing out tonight again.


















No comments:

Post a Comment