Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Sagrada Familia

I purchased a ticket online last night for the Sagrada Familia cathedral for a 13:15 entrance. I took the metro there which made me feel like I was in Paris again. There is a nice park across the street from the cathedral where I sat with a sandwich for a picnic lunch and some good people watching. Tons of tourists swarmed around the cathedral and mixed with locals in the park. With quite a bit of time to spare, I crossed to the front of the cathedral to look at the amazing exterior on that side. Another park was situated there and I watched the local old men playing bocce ball and cards. Even in this touristy spot normal life continued on in the midst of it. 

The Sagrada familia is a work in progress. Gaudi wanted it to be only financed by donations so it is slow going. Cranes and scaffolding deter the ambiance somewhat, but that's just the way it is. The exterior is filled with turrets, towers, sculptures and other decor depicting Biblical scenes and tributes to the apostles and saints. Inside the cathedral is filled with colored light from the stained glass windows. The columns reaching to the ceiling resemble trees with branches and leaves. It is a remarkable space even with tons of tourists in there. 















1 comment:

  1. Bocce ball, cards and stained glass! Woohoo!!!!! Missing you xoxo

    ReplyDelete