Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

It's Raining, it's pouring, the pilgrims are snoring!

We had our first day of walking in the rain. It was a steady light rain most of the day. Part of the day I walked without glasses on because it was impossible to see through them. I think I managed to sweat more today than any other day because I was bundled up in my rain gear and creating my own private sauna. I thought it was going to be steeper today than it was. It was mostly a gradual incline until close to our town. 

There was about a kilometer of steep, rocky ascent that had a wire fence on one side. As they have done in a couple of other places, pilgrims weave all kinds of crosses into the fence. Thousands of different crosses line the way. I stopped and fashioned one of my own. 

It was a relief to arrive at our albergue and strip off the soggy rain gear and shower. Tomorrow will be all fairly steep uphill and downhill, probably in the rain again. We will reach the iron cross located at one of the highest points on the Camino. More about that tomorrow...

The town we are staying in is called Rabanal. It is a nice little town with stone buildings. We walked up to the tiny little church and had a nice quiet time.













No comments:

Post a Comment