Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Slow Train to Barcelona

After seeing that the price for the fast train from Madrid to Barcelona was three times as expensive as the slow train, I booked the cheaper ticket. And, I guess I got what I paid for. It was a 9 hour train ride without a restaurant car, only a broken vending machine. Since I got in to Madrid after 10pm last night and my train left at 8 am , I didn't have time to get food. I figured that there is always food for sale on the trains. Wrong! Luckily I had an apple, a chocolate bar and a partial bottle of water with me. The only toilet wouldn't flush, so maybe it was good to not have anything to drink! 

The scenery was lovely even though the weather was overcast again. I could really go for some bright sunshine. Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow! The scenery varied from corn fields to wide desolate lands to dams and rivers with birch trees turning yellow to vineyards to the beaches along the coast. Towns with churches or fortress dotted the landscape. It's tricky to actually snap a photo quickly when on a train. I managed to get a few somewhat blurry shots. 

I'm staying at an airbnb in Barcelona for 5 nights. It's my first time using airbnb. My host Carmen is really nice but doesn't speak much English. I'm looking forward to sleeping in a real bed. The location is fabulous. Right in the middle of the old city and near almost everything. 

After a quick shower and finding out that it was fine if I used the kitchen to cook, I went across the street to a little produce market and bought things for dinner. I made a white bean dish with onions, garlic, pancetta, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese and an arugula salad with avocado and yellow bells. So nice to cook something! Tomorrow I will go explore the neighborhood and city here.











1 comment:

  1. Amy, Have fun in Barcelona. As I'm sure you've seen already, it's a beautiful city with WILD architecture everywhere. When you go to the Sagrada Familia, we'd suggest going early in the AM and being there before they open. It is a majestic place if you are in there before the hoards arrive......really an amazing building that tells so many stories of Jesus' life.

    ReplyDelete