Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Astorga

Historically Astorga has been a very important place. It is at a crossroads geographically  and a center for Christianity before the Islamic Moors took it over in the late 8th century. Supposedly both apostles Paul and James preached here. There is an impressive cathedral which has some paintings by Michaelangelo's apprentices. Nearby is a fabulous Gaudi building which now houses a collection of art and artifacts associated with the Camino.

We decided that we couldn't take another pilgrim meal tonight and our Albergue has a kitchen and there was a market to buy food. We cooked pasta with a ton of vegetables. It tasted good and was a nice change. 

Astorga is known for its chocolate. I guess that should have been the first thing I said about it... I have sampled some of the dark chocolate (my favorite) and I give it 2 thumbs up. 

A storm is supposed to be coming in tomorrow, so it makes it difficult to know how to plan. Our rain gear will get tested for sure! 













No comments:

Post a Comment