Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

My Camino

I've heard from the beginning that everyone has their own Camino. Yet there can be pressure to do or not do things certain ways. I hadn't planned on needing to take a taxi or bus, but knew it could be a possibility. It has seemed like the right thing when I was sick. Today because of the locations of towns and Albergues I decided to walk for 10km then catch a taxi for 16km, then walk 6km more. It kind of just came together as I was trying to make a reservation for the night. This part of the Camino is really packed again because a lot of people do the last 110km to Santiago. 

I had a delightful morning walk downhill to Triacastela where I hoped to catch a taxi. The town was very quiet when I arrived, and I wondered how I would find a taxi. As this thought was in my head, a taxi slowly passed me and stopped about 20 yards away to let an injured pilgrim out. The driver turned to me and I asked for a ride. That felt like a confirmation that God was leading me and taking care of me. She drove down the road and passed the monastery at Samos that I had heard about. She stopped so I could get out and look for a moment and take a photo. 

I had her drop me off just at the edge of Sarria, the official beginning of the last segment. I followed the path into and through town to a very long staircase. I went up all the stairs and then paused at the top and looked to my right, and was delighted to see my good Camino friend Max just sitting at the cafe there. We hadn't seen each other since Leon and I thought he had left Sarria the day before. Once again I felt confirmation that I was walking my Camino as it was meant to be.

We hung out at the cafe at the top of the stairs and greeted other friends as they crested the stairs. Eventually it was time for me to keep walking, so I continued on the lovely trail out of town, over an old Roman bridge and up a hill. I was all alone  for about half an hour, then I heard voices behind me. I turned around and couldn't believe that Julia and Tanya and Nora were behind me. We had split up the day before because they wanted to go more km a day so the could get to Santiago earlier for their flights. But, because I had jumped ahead some in a taxi and had started earlier I was now in front. So funny. We walked on to the next town where I am spending the night. They decided to relax and have a beer before continuing on for another 13km. 










1 comment: