Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Try to imagine...

Our fabulous tour guide Angel was a delight to listen to. We each had headsets that were programmed to his mic. His voice was melodious and his command of English excellent and most importantly his commentary was interesting, thoughtful and entertaining. He referred to us as his family as he guided us around the palace and gardens.

Inside the palace he frequently reminded us that we had to imagine what it would have been like back when it was built, before the destruction that occurred. The main thing that is missing today is color. Color from stained glass windows and color on all of the filigree covering the walls and columns. Together it created a kaleidoscope effect that was stunning. I tried to imagine it, but I'm sure I came up short. I did try to visualize the type of light that I saw in the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and how it would looked layered on the paint on the plaster filigree. 

It gets extremely hot in Granada, often over 110 degrees, so all of the windows, courtyards, pools and fountains are cleverly laid out to create natural air conditioning. Because it wasn't hot today we couldn't really feel the effect of it, but I definitely approve of the idea!













No comments:

Post a Comment