Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

One More Day

I can't hardly believe that I will walk into Santiago tomorrow. I think it was 42 days ago that we started walking in Roncesvalles. We posed by the sign that said Santiago 790 km and it seemed crazy that we would walk that far. Yet here I am. I needed to take bus/car on 3 days because I was ill, but besides that I have walked across Spain. 

I have met so many wonderful and amazing people along the way. I never imagined how much and how quickly I would love the other pilgrims who came into my life. The openness and vulnerability people expressed has been truly remarkable. Almost without exception, everyone who you passed by or sat down next to you greeted  you with hola or buen Camino. If you talked for more than a minute or so you introduced yourself and said where you were from. Sometimes within a few minutes people shared more personal information or stories about themselves than people would have after years at home. 

I have been incredibly sad to say goodbye to someone that I just met the day before. Some people I have said tearful goodbyes to multiple times because I didn't think our paths would cross again. Then, you would walk by a cafe and just sitting there is your Camino friend and you squeal with delight and feel so blessed. 

The Camino is a truly unique experience in the world. I have never encountered the openness to others in the same way. There is so much love and goodwill openly given and received. I know that I will be reflecting on this phenomenon and the lessons it has for me for a very long time. 

And so I am incredibly sad to have my Camino end. I'm already crying thinking about it being almost over. And yet I am ready to stop walking for awhile. I do see why there are a lot of people who walk it multiple times. 

I have tried to walk with open hands and open heart. Open to whatever God and the Camino have in store for me. I realize how little control I really have and how much that I am carried by prayers and love. Every person that I have met I believe has been there for a reason. I hope that I have been a good encourager and listener and friend to those who have been brought my way. I'm so grateful for all that I have received. I'm truly blessed.











1 comment:

  1. Amy, Thank you SO much for teaching us through your journey. You have taught and reminded us all of so many aspects of life that we forget in our everyday world of hustle bustle. All the personal interactions, friendships, struggles, etc that you have encountered have had lessons that we all need to be reminded of. We can't imagine how you must be feeling now.......a sense of satisfaction and sadness and longing for those friendships and special times to keep going on and on.....and to not let them go.
    Wow, what a powerful witness you have been to the important things in life. THANK you for all of this special gift from you to all of us! Safe travels from here on the next phase of your trip an we hope you have a wonderful celebration in Santiago.
    Linda and Steve

    ReplyDelete