Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Street Scenes

Everywhere you look in Barcelona there's creativity, beauty and life. With artists like Picasso, Miro and Dali, architects like Gaudi and musicians, designers and other creative souls, the city seems full of playful expressions of beauty. In many ways the city has echoes of Paris in the style of the buildings and their relationships to the city streets, but the atmosphere overall feels different. Paris takes itself quite seriously and has stately charm and breathtakingly lovely  lighting at night. Barcelona seems more like the talented playful sibling that doesn't feel the need to play by all of the rules. Teasing out the limits of taste in order to bring forth all the joy and color possible seem to be the objective. I'm making these observations after being in Barcelona for a measly 24 hours, so it could all be nonsense, but it is my initial take on it. The locals and tourists alike seem to be in a good mood and enjoying themselves. 

There are many street artists dressed in costumes as well as musicians playing on the sidewalks. I heard one guy singing Elvis songs with a fabulous deep voice like George Ezra. I'm definitely looking forward to spending more time in Barcelona. I do plan on hitting the big sites, but I could be happy here just wandering around too. I forgot to mention that I went to a Starbucks today. I was actually hoping to get a huge strong cup of brewed coffee. Turns out they don't do brewed coffee here, only espresso drinks. I went for an iced latte which sadly was not as good as the ones at home. On the other hand, if you want a cone of meat, either little sausages or chunks of prosciutto (think beef jerky if needed), this is the place for you!












No comments:

Post a Comment