Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Tour Time

I booked a one day tour for Cordoba for today and for Granada to see The Alhambra tomorrow. I figured it would be easier to stay in Seville and take day trips to the places I wanted to see. Today there were just five of us in a mini van with our driver Pepe. He said that I could sit up front next to him or in the back seat with two others. That was not a hard decision for me- front seat please! The other passengers were a lovely couple from northern England and a couple from New York. 

Pepe was an engaging guy from Seville who knew a lot of history and information about the area. I originally thought he was going to be our guide in Cordoba but he was only our driver. It rained a little on our way there and then briefly for about half an hour in Cordoba before the sun came out, so we had perfect weather for most of the trip.

Our local guide for the next three hours was a petite, lively woman who talked so quickly we had trouble keeping up with her. She had married an English man and lived and worked in London so her English was really good but the amount of facts and information that came out of her was a bit overwhelming. She had  a way of speaking which included at the end of her sentences a sound that sounded like a hmm with a questioning tone. When near her, I felt like I needed to nod in confirmation that she was correct and that I comprehended everything, whether or not I did.

Our first stop was at the Alcazar de Los Reyes Cristianos. The most impressive part was the gardens. Size wise they were tiny compared to the Alcazar in Seville, but they had beautiful rectangular fountains lined with tall cypress trees and square side gardens with fruit trees and flowers. In the center were statues of Christopher Columbus asking Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand for money to sponsor his sailing venture to the Indies. It took three tries until the timing was right and he was granted the funds needed. The rest is history...

Apparently Cordoba's other claim to fame is that it was the center of the Spanish Inquisition. We were shown where infidels and other people were grilled (questioned with pressure) and then where those who didn't pass the inquisition were thrown off the tower or burned in the square ( that was at a nearby town of Carmona). She said it was a bad time but in such a cheery way that I had to grimace.











No comments:

Post a Comment