Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

El Paso Honroso "the honorable bridge "

The impressive Gothic bridge over the Rio Orbigo is the site of a legendary medieval jousting competition. Don Suero de quinones was rejected by the woman he loved. In his heartbreak, he locked his neck in an iron collar and swore he would not take it off until he had defeated 300 knights in jousting. The call went out, and knights from all over the kingdom came in 1434. He defeated them all and overcame his heartbreak. He journeyed to Santiago and left a bejeweled bracelet there in honor of his love.



1 comment: