Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Portomarin

I didn't get a chance yesterday to write about the town where we stayed last night. It had the most stunning entrance I've seen to a town. We crossed a very high bridge over a river where we could see ruins along the banks and even stone walls popping out of the river itself. After crossing the bridge there was a steep staircase up to an archway leading into town.

Apparently, a dam was built in 1956 which flooded the original town. Many of the buildings including the church were hauled up the hill stone by stone and reassembled in the new town. 








No comments:

Post a Comment