Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Pepe to the rescue!

Anytime I go on an organized tour, even if it is with a small group, I am brought back to my tour guiding days. Today was no exception. Everything was going along wonderfully, the weather, the good company, the beautiful mosque and cathedral. What could possibly go wrong? Well, on the drive home we did a planned detour through the town of Carmona. As we were leaving the town we were driving over cobblestones. Pepe even asked for the English word for them as we were really bouncing around. Shortly afterwards when we were on the highway, the bumping was still happening and Pepe realized we had a flat tire. He deftly pulled over to the shoulder and hoped to get to a nearby exit but there was no way. The highway was very busy and cars and trucks were flying past. The British couple got out but Pepe and I knew that it wasn't legal for them to wait outside the car. Reluctantly they got back in. I handed Pepe a bright orange vest with reflective material on it and he hurried around to the passenger side when the coast was clear. The others inquired again whether it would be easier for him to change the tire without the weight of five people in the car, but he assured us while working up a sweat jacking the car up that he was fine. He was able to change it fairly quickly and we continued on our way. It all went remarkably well and with a lot less drama than when I had been a tour guide and had 50 passengers stranded halfway between the Grand Canyon and Laughlin for 4 hours when the front tire blew out. So far no PTSD for me tonight! Thank God!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment