Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Park and the Funicular

My friend Steffen suggested among other things to ride the funicular over the Casa de Campo Park. I asked for directions from the woman working at the front desk of my hotel. She didn't speak English but between showing her a text with the name of the place and her translation app on her phone we communicated just fine. I needed to walk to the Plaza de Espana then take the metro to Lago then walk 25 minutes or so to the Teleferico funicular. So, no problem. 

I did the first part correctly and got off at Lago, which I figured out means lake or lagoon, after I got out of the metro and saw a lovely park with a lake nearby. I almost teared up with the beauty of the fall trees and the peaceful feeling of the place. After the frenetic pace and crowds of people that I have experienced over the past couple days, this was a balm to my soul. It obviously was a favorite locale for the sporty crowd. Lots of bicyclists, joggers, walkers, kayakers, and families were there taking advantage of the beautiful Sunday morning. I walked around the lake and then asked for directions to the funicular which I couldn't see. I was instructed to walk past the tennis courts in order to spot the funicular. Then I simply needed to walk up the hill to the station. I found the tennis courts and then walked around on the many paths crisscrossing the park until I finally found the top. It wasn't quite as straight forward as it sounds... On the way I was passed by people on horseback, cross country bicycles, joggers and a few guys who couldn't wait for ski season and were using roller blades/ skis and ski poles as they flew down the gravelly paths. 

I bought my ticket and boarded the tram. There wasn't any one in line so I had it to myself. I enjoyed the views over the park and into the city. The other end was near the Royal Palace and it would have been a lot simpler to just have gone there, but then I would have missed walking around the lake. I made my way back down to the lake by a different route and had a coffee at one of the little lakeside restaurants and read my book until the weather changed and started to be chilly. 









No comments:

Post a Comment