Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Homeward Bound

My adventure in Spain is almost over. I'm ready to be homeward bound tomorrow. It will be so wonderful to see my family and friends. I can't wait to go to Berkeley Bowl and buy tons of fabulous fresh vegetables and cook some Amy food. It is wearisome having to eat out all of the time and I miss cooking. I'm looking forward to Peets coffee and Bay breezes. My brain is tired of trying to communicate in a foreign language that I don't know. The past couple of days I seem to be having more trouble coming up with the little Spanish that I do know. French keeps popping out, which isn't helpful at all.  Twice I have tried to order a cafe au lait, instead of the cafe con leche that I've been ordering for the past two months. On my day tour to Toledo I went with a group so that I would be able to meet some people. I did connect with two nice guys from Houston on the bus ride there, but they had arranged only for the transportation, not the tour. At lunch I was put at a table with a lovely older Spanish couple from Andalusia who didn't know a word of English. It was just the three of us. We attempted numerous times to try to communicate but it was virtually impossible. Let's just say it was a painfully long and quiet lunch, the opposite of what I was hoping for. If they had been younger I wouldn't have felt bad about pulling out my phone or a book, but there was no way that was going to be appropriate. I actually think it would have been delightful to talk with them if we could have understood each other. Oh well, I survived. And yes, I'm REALLY looking forward to speaking in English! 

Although I have been posting blogs and getting a little email, I've been unplugged for over two months. I haven't watched any TV or movies or listened to the radio or read a newspaper. I haven't looked at news online and I have no idea what has happened in the past two months. I'm sure that re-entry will be a shock to my system. I remember when I returned from a three month stint in Paris that it felt like all the media was yelling at me trying to get my attention. I guess I will have to figure out how much to plug back in when I'm home. 

I'm not sure what the future holds, but I know that I want to spend a lot of time with the people that I love. I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful community of friends and such a loving family. See you soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment