Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Puerta del Sol

I've been staying at a hotel near the Puerta del Sol. Most of the places tourists want to visit are within a 20-30 minute walk from here in one direction or another. The plaza itself is filled with people and entertainers. I stopped to listen to two guys playing musical instruments of some sort, maybe related to the harpsichord but played with mallets. They were really good. Another form of entertainment and a way for people to earn some money is by dressing up and posing in supposedly gravity defying ways. I keep thinking that they must get really tired of doing that for hours! 

I went over to the Mercado San Miguel which is an upscale food pavilion near Plaza Mayor. You can buy and consume all sorts of tapas and drinks there if you can actually get up to the counters and get your order in. I kind of have to work up the courage to jump in the fray. It can be intimidating in the crowds. The food /tapas are usually quite lovely to look at, but the flavors don't excite me much. I'm looking forward to doing some cooking of my own soon! One great little hole in the wall that is surprisingly good is a just down the street from me. It is called Takos and has really delicious tacos. I've been there a couple of times already. The tacos are only 1 euro each, a great bargain in Madrid. There is usually a line out the door and the seating is packed. I might go there again tonight.














No comments:

Post a Comment