Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Never the Same Twice

Pimbo to Uzan
24km

One of the fun elements of the Camino is the diverse array of accommodations for the pilgrims. Every single place is unique and runs the gamut from fabulous to quirky to functional to a bit scary. It couldn't be more different than staying in hotel chains which do so much to be standardized. The mix of people that you stay and sleep and eat with changes daily as well and is totally out of your control. Unlike Spain, there have been a few nights when we were the only ones staying at a Gite which is kind of interesting too and you feel more like being a guest in someone's home who maybe doesn't speak the same language as you. 

Last night at the communal gite we were given pasta and jarred sauce and bread for dinner and told to cook it ourselves. There was also a little package of cream cheese and applesauce for dessert. The Swiss girls cooked up the pasta and I picked a few fresh herbs from the garden to throw in. There were some whiny Bristish expats who kept complaining about the food which was really annoying. Sure it wasn't great, but we only paid 18 euros for a bed, dinner and breakfast, so no need to complain.

I actually slept great there even though it wasn't the nicest place. The young Swiss and French folks had a room near the toilet and they asked anyone who wanted to use the bathroom to sing them a lullaby first. I said that I didn't know what to sing and one said Twinkle Twinkle  Little Star,  so I did. 

Tonight we are staying in a modern house with just one other French woman. The gite owner said she would bring us vegetables from the garden tonight and we can cook for ourselves. We picked up some rice and prosciutto to use with whatever she brings over. 

I'm going to just post text for now in hopes that it will go through and will try sending photos later. I'd love to hear from more of you, it's been over a month since I left and I'd love updates on your lives.

I only have 6 more days of walking in France then I will be in Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment