Buen Camino

This blog will be about my thoughts, impressions and experiences along the Camino de Santiago in Spain and my travels following my time there. I am delighted and honored to have you journey along with me during this pilgrimage.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Berkeley Beauty

There are less than a handful of days left before I fly off to France. On a whim, I went to REI to buy a  $5 luggage tag and ended up purchasing new hiking shoes. One is not supposed to buy shoes for a big hike the week before it, but having seen forecasts for rain the first few days on the Camino I decided to inquire about whether I could waterproof the ones I already had. The sales guy said because they were mesh it was impossible, though they did carry a waterproof version of the same shoe. Wish I had known that earlier. Nevertheless, I decided to purchase the news ones and will try to walk a lot in the next few days to break them in. Actually, they feel really good and aren't stiff so I'm hopeful that I made the right call.

Berkeley feels alive right now with all of the new and returning students swarming around the campus. Having lived on North Side on Oxford St my senior year and loving that area I headed there for a walk around the hills and through the lovely neighborhoods. The architecture and the gardens are filled with whimsy and personality and charm. The brown shingle buildings, the victorians with their turrets and everything in between are so delightful. Even though it is almost fall, flowers were in bloom and the air was filled with their heady scents and vivid colors. The majority of the yards and gardens have a carefree natural appearance and decorative gates provide glimpses to interior courtyard oasis.

The weather couldn't be more perfect: 70F, sunny and blue skies with a light breeze.  My walk took me up to the Berkeley Rose Garden bringing back many fond memories of playing tennis there and enjoying walking through the roses while looking out at the sweeping vista of the bay. I paused frequently to take photos and have brief conversations with others out enjoying the day.

I'm trying to soak up the Bay Area before I leave. It's been wonderful to spend time with my dear friends and family before heading off on another big adventure. I will hold all of this beauty and love in my heart as I journey abroad. 






1 comment:

  1. Amy, I LUV seeing the world (even that part of the world I live in and usually haven't noticed) through your eyes. Your pictures and words describing what you see are inspiring, fun, and introspective. I can't wait to see what we have waiting for us all in France! God paints with a beautiful palette and you capture his creativity for us all. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete